11/07/2012

SUGAR COOKIES

    This recipe was given to me by my friend, Tarang. It is easy to make, the ingredients almost always are easily available at home.  It is soooo easy I let my kids make some for themselves (under adult supervision, of course).The dough after mixing has a shelf life of more than a week ( my cookies always finish in a day or so, therefore I need to make more so the dough never lasts for more than 2-3 days )
A slight change in the flavours can also give entirely different versions from the same basic dough. For example, I have added a tsp of ground ginger and ground cinnamon and got gingerbread type of cookies. I have added cocoa powder and got chocolate cookies. I have added chocolate chips and got chocolate chip cookies. The way the cookies are rolled and decorated also changes the look and taste of these cookies. So this is a basic dough, very versatile, just waiting for you to try it out. let me know how your cookies turn out.

INGREDIENTS:
            1 1/2 cup. Icing sugar
               1 cup butter
               1/4 cup milk
               1 tsp vanilla essence
               2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
               1 tsp baking soda
               3/4 tsp bakin powder



            

METHOD:
 
                Mix all ingredients together . Make a dough. Wrap in clingfilm. Refrigerate it for 3-4 hrs. Roll out, use cookie cutters. Bake at 180 degree for 8-10 mins.. Very simple to do.

For the cookies in the picture, I divided the dough into two equal parts, and added cocoa powder to the second half. I refrigerated the dough for 2 hours and then rolled each half into 5 mm thick discs, placed them one above the other, and rolled them into a log. Then I wrapped them in clingfilm, and refrigerated for another couple of hours. After 2 hours, I cut out 2 to 3 mm discs out of the log, and baked them in a 180 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

For serving, you can decorate these cookies with a simple sugar mix or use dulche de leche or chocolate sauce or buttercream or any jam to sandwich two cookies together.
        For the sugar decorations, just warm up 2 tbsp water and add about half to a cupful of icing sugar and mix. Depending on the consistency required  you can add more or less water to this. Add colour for more effect. And, before I forget, sprinkles and silver balls and glitters, make these cookies a great item for kids parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment