01/09/2012

EGGLESS PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

I was browsing through my facebook page today. Among other pages that I look through on a regular basis is Nestle's Milkmaid Sweet Moments. They have such good recipes posted, especially eggless ones. Right now they are having "Cool Cake Saturdays" where they share cake recipes every saturday. The first recipe they posted today is this Pineapple upside down cake. My cake is in the oven as I write this post.  Hopefully it will turn out good, The usual eggless recipes that I make are not satisfactory, because the cake usually turn out dense. The texture of this cake as I was beating the mixture was quite light and frothy so hopefully, it will be alight cake.
             So, here's the recipe:

                     EGGLESS PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
Serves: 10

Ingredients:

NESTLE MILKMAID Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1 tin (400g)
Maida - 200 g
Butter - 100 g
Pineapple slices - 6
Baking powder - 1 tsp
Soda bicarbonate - 1 tsp
Aerated soda - 1 cup (150 ml)
Pineapple essence - ½ tsp
Sugar for caramelisation - 5-6 tbsp
Yellow colour (optional) - ½ tsp

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180° C. Grease an 8" diameter cake tin. Arrange the pineapple slices at the base. Heat sugar in a pan till it melts and becomes brown. Pour this hot caramel over the pineapple slices and keep aside.

2. Melt butter, cool slightly. Add the NESTLE MILKMAID and beat well, add the essence. Sieve together maida, baking powder and soda bicarbonate. Add some maida to MILKMAID mixture and then add some aerated soda and mix well. Repeat, alternatively maida and aerated soda till both are used up.

3. Pour batter over pineapple slices in the cake tin and bake at 180°C for 45 minutes or till cake is done. Remove from oven, loosen the sides of cake using a knife and immediately turn onto a plate.
     This cake doesn't need decorating at all. Although some dark red cherries contrasting with the uellow of the pineapple do look wonderful.  As for me I don't have any cherries now so I'll probably be decorating with some coloured gel or jam. I don't know I'll see when it comes to taking the cake out of the oven. 

 I'll be sharing more of milkmaid recipes as time passes, but for those who would like to check out Nestle's page, here's the link-    

No comments:

Post a Comment